How to assemble your skateboard in 3 Steps
Steps of assembling your skateboard
If you have bought skateboard parts that need to be assembled then do not worry because with few tools you can do it by yourself. The process of assembling a skateboard is always easy upon understanding how the parts can be put and work together. First, you have to apply the grip tape to the deck, screw the decks and put the wheels and the bearings. If you prefer buying a complete skateboard, here is a review of ten best skateboard Brands
Step 1: Put the grip tape on the deck
- Keep the small hardware in the skateboard kit or a box to avoid losing any parts.
- Place the deck on a flat surface to enable you to place the grip tape well and evenly on the deck. The nose and the tail ends of the board should point upwards with graphic at the bottom facing the flat surface.
- Place the grip tape over your deck to make sure it covers your board. The grip tape is a rectangular sheet which covers the board and leaves extra sheet in case you did not place it well. Peel the sticker at the back of the grip tape and then lay it evenly over the deck.
-Touch the side of the grip tape carefully as little as possible
-Make sure to pinch ends of the tape that are between the forefinger and the thumb. Find the edges of the deck using the middle finger by pulling the ends of the tape. Thereafter, leave the grip to fall on the deck.
-In case you are left with a grip tape with a shape that should be at the end of the board then spot the tail and nose ends. The nose has a thin curve while the tail has a steeper slant.
- Smoothen the grip tape by using your palms
-To remove air bubbles make sure to press it hard downwards by starting at the center of the deck and outwards towards the tail and the nose. Make sure all air bubbles are removed to avoid small rocks getting in between the grip and the deck which causes discomfort when riding and making sure that the grip tape remains adhered to your board for long.
-Use a screwdriver to rub the edges of the board for it to make a sketch. A white instruction will appear for cutting.
- Trim excess grip tape
-Use a sharp blade to cut around the board’s edge from the center since it is easy.
-Make a perpendicular incision on your deck for easy cutting and make sure that the cutting around the deck is consistent.
-Angle the blade over the deck for ease and remove the outer tape portion for easy cutting.
- Smoothen the edges of grip tape
-Take a piece of the tape that was cut away and use it to rub the edges of the grip tape. This makes sure that the edges are smoothened to avoid it from peeling up.
Step 2: Put the wheels and trucks on the deck
- Attach the trucks to the deck
-Poke holes using a screwdriver through the grip tape and downwards to prevent it from cracking or hardware screwing over the grip. Place the screws through the holes and then attach the trucks to your board.
-fix one truck at a go. There are hardware kits that come with screws of multiple colors to help you distinguish the tail from nose when riding. The screws can be placed at the end so long as you remember where you place them.
-Hold the hardware in place by using your fingers for easy attachment of trucks. The flat square feet of the truck connects with the deck with the hanger facing down. Use a skate tool to fasten the nuts over the trucks and a screwdriver to tighten the screws.
-The kingpins on the trucks, rubber bushings and part of the trucks with big nuts face each other for it to ride properly.
- Insert the bearings into the wheels
Insert the bearings into the wheels by using bearing press or your trucks. For you to slide the bearing and the wheel, make sure to take out the washer and nut from the truck axle. Bearing often has flat and ridged sides. Make sure the flat side faces up by sliding down the bearing to the axle.
Press down the wheel over the bearing until it slides into the center of the wheel. Take the wheel out of the axle and slide another bearing down and also on the other side. If you hear a popping sound upon pressing the wheel on the bearing then this shows the bearing is in.
- Attach the wheels
If your wheels have both the outside and inside edge, then the outside will have the graphic although some wheels do have graphics on both sides .Slide the wheel down the axle and put the nut and washer on the wheel and tighten the nut to make sure it is in place. Loosen it to make sure that the wheel is able to spin freely.
-Make sure to loosen the nut for it to be secure and to make sure that the wheel has a space to move.
-Grab and jerk on the wheel. The wheel should be able to move back and forth a little on the axle.
-The wheel should be at level and not laying on one angle.
Step 3: Testing the skateboard
Once you have put your skateboard together, make sure that you test it before riding on it to make sure that you will be safe. Below is what you should do:
- Ensure the grip tape and screws are even-The screw heads should be even with the grip tape to avoid having protruding screws which makes maneuvering and performing tricks harder.
-Screw them further and not deeper to avoid the deck from cracking in case they are not even.
- Test the trucks-The trucks must be secured firmly to the deck and the base plate part of the truck must be intact. Loose trucks make riding harder and dangerous.
- Stand on the board-this will enable you to test it if it is ready to roll on it. Skate around by rocking back and forth to test if trucks are tight and ensure the wheels spin freely.
-Tighten the nut in case the board feels unstable in a clockwise direction half a turn.
-In case the truck is too tight, turn the nut counterclockwise and rotate the nuts on the trucks to make sure that you don’t have any problem turning.
-Loosen the wheels if you experience any resistance when pushing.
–Organize all parts to avoid losing them.
-Make the grip tape smooth even if it not even and ensure the edges stick fully.
-Apply pressure when inserting the bearings into the wheels.
-Use a skate tool for easy assembling of your skateboard.
For your safety measures, always wear the best skating helmet while skating.